Monday, October 17, 2011

Day 4 - Yoga Teacher Training

I tell some of my fellow teachers in training about my experience the day before of being so angry for hours after the Yin yoga class.  Unsurprised, they share with me that that can happen, is ok, and actually common.  I google it and discover that the hips store anger, blame, guilt, power and control, as can the low back.  Both are sore.  I so need a massage.  I must have been storing some old anger in there, and it came out yesterday from class.  I guess that is a good thing! 

Training today went well, though I am feeling overwhelmed with all there is to learn.   For each posture we must know so many things, and as we add new ones, my brain begins to jumble things up.  We obviously need to know what the poses looks like and how to do them.  We also need to know their benefits, adjustments, modifications, verbal cues to get people in and out of the poses, and the both the english and Sanskrit names for them  How on earth am I going to remember all this, I wonder?  It's been a few years since I was in school.  Studying, memorizing and sitting down taking a test are one thing.  I was pretty good at that.  Moving, memorizing, and then teaching it to our whole class is quite another. If you fail a test in school, only you and the teacher know.  If you fail in teacher training, you fail in front of everyone.  I begin to get nervous about next week's teaching segment.  I tell myself, "practice and repetition."  The more I do it, feel it and teach it, the easier it will come.  Now my challenge is balancing the time I need to practice and study with a heavy workload next week and looming deadlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment